- Tour guide 8.00 to 10.00 USD per day per guest (200 to 250 Cuban pesos)
- Tour driver 5.00 to 7.00 USD per day per guest (125 to 175 Cuban pesos)
- Hint You decide the amounts you’re comfortable contributing. Tipping in US dollars makes planning and budgeting easier.
Boys having a water fight
Tipping and gratuities guideline. Be the best guest!
How much should I tip in Cuba?
Cuban tour guides and tour chauffeurs depend on tips and share them with their coworkers and family. They also contribute a percentage of tips to the national health and education systems. Treat tipping in Cuba as you do at home – be kind to those who assist.
Amounts most Americans share with tour helpers
Tipping practices in Cuba are similar to those in the United States. US dollars are welcomed, needed, and preferred. Tips in Cuban pesos are fine too! Learn more about how money works in Cuba.
Tips for other Cubans who help during your stay
- Restaurant staff 1.00 USD or 10% per guest (25 Cuban pesos)
- Hotel porters 1.00 USD or more if you have lots of luggage (25 Cuban pesos)
- Chambermaids 1.50 USD per day per guest (40 to 50 Cuban pesos)
- Museum guides and special guides 1.00 USD per guest (25 Cuban pesos)
- Musicians at restaurants 1.00 USD per guest (25 Cuban pesos)
What about “gifting” in place of tips?
Cubans in the tourist industry need cash to spend on the things they really need. They already receive a lot of leftover toothpaste, toiletries, and other stuff visitors leave behind.
However, if you make a special friend, then a nice gift is always appropriate, together with personal things you don’t need to take home. Learn more about donations and gifts for your new Cuban friends.